Thursday, September 28, 2006

California Dreamin' - Part I

It's been a good long while since I've posted on this blog. I have promised myself that I'll work harder on this blog and post more often. Much has happened as DudeDiligence - Denver, San Francisco, Ontario (CA), Portland, a wonderful backpacking trip to the Olympic Coast with my oldest son and a wonderful walk on Dungeness Spit with my youngest son, more hikes, a family vacation to Coeur d'Alene, and on and on. I visited Chaco Canyon during a trip to Albuquerque for a meeting. Chaco Canyon is powerful in its beauty and mystery.

This week finds DudeDiligence in California, currently in Paso Robles on the tail end of a whirlwind tour of California beginning San Leandro at a cookie and muffin factory followed by mold assessments of medical office buildings in Los Gatos, Manteca (means lard in Spanish), and Templeton. Tomorrow I cruise slowly back up to Oakland to fly back home to Seattle.

On the way I have found tons of topics I want to explore further:

The rebuilding of New Orleans: met a Southwest flight attendant (an African American) who bought and is in the process of gutting and rebuilding eight houses in New Orleans. He gave me a lot of hope and inspiration.

Congressman Richard Pombo, Pombo Realty, and the Pombo family: I stayed in and traveled through Tracy, California - it's Pombo country and Richard Pombo is the man - rancher and congressman.

Coalinga, California: "Jesus is Lord of Coalinga" I kid you not.

Parkfield Grade: A scenic and remote drive through the heart of the California coast ranges oak savanna.

Parkfield, California: Earthquake headquarters - population 16.

James Dean: died in a car crash somewhere near Cholame.

Paso Robles: a boy and his wooly bear caterpillars.

Castoro Cellars 2005 Fume Blanc: tasty

I'll see if I can explore a mission or two on my way up to Oakland.

No comments: